So let’s get cooking that no bake vanilla cream pie!
The No Bake Process
While you won’t use the oven for this recipe, you will need to spend some time whisking away – so it’s not completely without effort.
Make your Trim Healthy Mama no bake pie crust and keep it refrigerated until you need it.
Measure your sweetener and salt right into a medium sized pot. Whisk in your almond milk (or 1/2 almond milk and 1/2 heavy cream). Then whisk in 5 egg yolks.
Bring this to a bare simmer over medium heat, stirring often. You won’t want to leave it alone – scrambled eggs are not the goal here! Proof 1 tablespoon of gelatin in 1/4 cup hot water while you’re waiting. Keep watching the pot and when it starts to simmer, whisk constantly for 1 minute.
Take it off the heat, add the gelatin along with 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of vanilla. Pour the mixture into your pie pan, cover with plastic, and refrigerate at least 3 hours to let it firm up.
That’s all there is to it! If you want a banana cream pie, you could slice up some banana to put on the crust before topping with your cream mixture (make sure you use a deep dish pie pan for this recipe!)
Trim Healthy Mama No Bake Vanilla Cream Pie Recipe
Recipe type: dessert (THM – S)
Serves: 8 servings
- ⅔ cup xylitol
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2½ cups almond milk (or half of each almond milk and heavy cream)
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon gelatin
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2 Tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 no bake pie crust
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Measure the xylitol and salt into a medium sized pot.
- Slowly whisk in the almond milk.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk well.
- Put over medium heat and stir constantly, until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- While you’re waiting for it to come to a simmer, add the gelatin to the ¼ cup hot water and stir well. Set aside.
- When milk mixture starts to simmer, whisk and let cook for one minute.
- Remove from heat, add gelatin, butter, and vanilla extract, mixing well.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pie crust, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 3 hours or until set.
- When you are ready to serve, top with whipped cream.